Sunday, December 29, 2013

Monkey King Noodle Company

Monkey King Noodle Co.
 
For the dead of winter, it was a pretty pleasant day when Kristin and I visited this place.  The sun was out and the temperature hovered around 60 degrees.  Not too bad for a place that had no indoor seating.  It's mostly a take out place, with seating on the sidewalk or on the rooftop, which is where we ate.
 
Monkey King offers Chinese street food in one of Dallas' art fart districts, called Deep Ellum.  They have a small menu with beef, chicken, or pork noodle soup, wontons, dumplings, and spicey cucumber salad(Yuck!).  I order the chicken noodle soup, while Kristin got the beef. 
 
The chicken noodle soup was pulled dark and white chicken in a savory broth with herbs.  I don't know what they were, but they were green.  It was oh so delicious and perfect on a day with a little nip in the air.  The only draw back was the noodles.  They were a little thick for my taste.  If I wanted something that thick, I might as well boil my shoelaces with a bullion cube.
 
I tried some of Kristin's beef soup.  Initially the beef had a peculiar taste.  I think it was the chili oil they used, but the more you chewed it, the better it got as you released the braised beef and broth flavors.
 
Definitely a win!  I would try this place again, especially on a nice day in the spring or fall.  If you go during the summer, it's probably best to get it to go and find some air conditioning.
 

Spicey Beef Noodle Soup

Hand Pulled Chicken Noodle Soup

Rooftop Patio


 

No comments:

Post a Comment