Saturday, March 3, 2012

Freeb!rds



I know this place is a chain.  They have restaurants all over Texas and in California, so this place I visited is not unique in the world of fast, fake Mexican joints.  It's concept is not unique either.  Freebirds is a burrito restaurant along the lines of Chipotle or Qdoba.  And as far as quality and taste goes, on a continuum where Chipotle is absolute crap and Qdoba is awesome, Freebirds falls someone where in between.

I got a naked chicken burrito with rice, beans, salsa verde, lettuce and LOTS of cheese.  That is the extant to which I will bore you with what I ate.  I could basically get that anywhere so I wasn't breaking any new ground.  What made Freebirds stand out to me was the decor and vibe of the place.  Unlike Chipotle(yuck!) or Qdoba, with their minimalist interiors, this particular Freebirds had a hip, 60's, Easy Rider motif going on.  It was fun.  The coolest aspect was that people would take the foil the burrito came wrapped in and sculpt a little piece of art.  There are pieces of this foil art all over the restaurant.  Since I order a naked burrito, I got a styrofoam bowl.  Not much I could do with that.







Anyway, in the realm of fake, Mexican places, Freebirds is nothing to shout from the rooftops about.  Good food, but it a chain none the less.  It's not a place for the out of towner, but for the locals.  The regulars who live here(like me now), who are hungry, but are used to seeing these constants on every street corner or strip mall.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Aaron! I'm enjoying all your reviews and seeing how life in TX is for you. :)

    A friend whose blog I follow recently went to Dallas and shared this: http://krishill10.blogspot.com/2012/03/texas-where-everything-is-big-even.html

    Thought you might enjoy it....maybe you already know of some of the food places?

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. I'm glad you're enjoying my blog. Thanks for sharing the link.

      Delete