Saturday, November 12, 2011

Mi Cocina

The Mi Cocina restaurant at Watters Creek in Allen. 
I did not take this picture.

I do not care for Mexican food.  Maybe it's because I get filled up on chips and salsa before my meal comes.  Maybe it's because the "authentic" Mexican I've eaten in the past has been dumbed down.  Maybe it's because beans and rice seem like the only side items found on Mexican plates.  Or maybe it's because I think flan is disgusting and shouldn't be allowed on any dessert menu. 

I am in Texas however, and Mexican restaurants abound. I decided that since I am here, I am willing to sample what the area has to offer.  I really wanted to try a restaurant called Chuy's but the closest one to where we were had a 45 minute wait time. We didn't want to wait that long so we settled on Mi Cocina.

The one we went to was located in a beautiful mixed-use development called Watters Creek in Allen.  One of those lovely, manicured communities where you can live, work, shop, and eat in just a short walk. Just as a side note, if I ever made enough money to afford it, this is the kind of place I would want to live.

Mi Cocina is a moderately priced restaurant with a modern, high end atmosphere.  It was very nice on the inside with a minimalist design that was sharp and clean and well lit. A welcome change from the normal tacky explosion of pinatas and sombreros hanging every where.




I ordered the Crispy Chicken "Enchiladas Verdes", which was three enchiladas topped with salsa verde, crema, arroz y refritos, and served with rice, beans, and lettuce.  It was delicious!  The chicken enchiladas topped with those sauces was a sublime marriage of flavors.  The rice was tender and not dried out which is my normal experience at Mexican restaurants.  And the lettuce, once I threw out the avocado and tomatoes, came with a hint of dressing, and was quit tasty.  I did not touch my beans.  Yuck.

Crispy Chicken "Enchiladas Verdes"



All together, it was a very satisfying meal.  Not exceptional, mind you.  I didn't feel like I was experiencing Mexican cuisine like I never had it before.  No new ground was being covered here.  But it was good and worthy of another visit.  And I wasn't going to break the bank either.  My meal, along with my drinks, came to a little over twenty bucks.  Not bad for a Friday night out.

Mi Cocina

No comments:

Post a Comment