Saturday, November 5, 2011

Traders Village


I don’t normally care for flea markets or peddler malls.  I guess it depends on your interests or how closely you peruse, but most of the stuff I find there is just someone’s junk.  Being new to the area, however, my friends told me that I must visit this place called Traders Village.

Traders Village is a Texas sized flea market with a little bit of carnival thrown in for good measure.  It’s also the closest you can get to Mexico without a passport or tourist visa.  Walking through the gate was like walking into another world and the further back you went, the deeper the rabbit hole.

I really enjoyed this place.  Like any flea market, anything and everything can be bought here: from auto parts to appliances, and everything in between.  There was some scary stuff as well.  There was one booth selling some herbal remedies that looked like they’ve been sitting on the shelf since the 80’s.  And I don’t know what you use a tube of gorilla snot for, but I’m sure it’s someone’s take on styling gel.  I’ll pass. 
My friend Kristin told me that I needed to try this drink called an aqua fresca.  I’ve never had one, but I heard that they are pretty popular in Mexico and Latin America.  They come in different flavors like pineapple, watermelon, rice, hibiscus, cantaloupe, or tamarind.  I decided to go with the hibiscus.
I knew that hibiscus was a flower of some sort and my drink was sweet and nectary, if that’s a word.  I felt like a hummingbird drinking this thing.  Starting out it was good, but as it progressed I began to like it less and less.  Not my best choice, but live and learn.
I really enjoyed Traders Village.  With all its Hispanic sights, sounds, and smells, it was a world unto itself.  A little slice of Latin America in the heart of the DFW.




Every flea market needs a bar

Making my Hibiscus aqua fresca

http://tradersvillage.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment