Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Stand


The Stand is basically a hot dog joint. Which in and of itself, doesn't really amaze me.  When it comes to hot dogs, my tastes are pretty simple.  I usually prefer a regular store bought hot dog cooked on the grill and  topped with sauerkraut and mustard.  Nothing fancy, but tasty. 

In fact, the only thing that attracted me to this place was the decor.  They managed to saw an Airstream in half and use one as the order counter and the other as the drink counter.  Cool idea, giving a food truck vibe indoors.  I'm always in the mood for eateries with a cool feel, even if the food doesn't always live up to the ambiance.  Can anyone say Rainforest Cafe?




I decided to get the Chicago styled corn dog.  It was a Nathan's beef frank dipped in this kinda sweet, honey batter.  I was hoping that it would be just as good as the corn dogs that I get at the fair.  I don't know where fair vendors get their corn dogs or what they use to make them, but I'm sure it involves angels, fairies, leprechauns, or any happy thing that grants wishes. They are just that good!  The corn dog I ordered, .........not so much.  It wasn't bad.  It just wasn't great.  I'm not a fan of Nathan's hot dogs.  They have a taste and texture that I can't get into.

My tater tots on the other hand was outstanding.  I scarfed those down fast.  They were hot and fresh, and covered with a special seasoning that the manager called Magic Dust.  See?  Angels, fairies, leprechauns......?


Overall, it wasn't a bad experience.  In addition to hot dogs, The Stand also offers hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, and chicken wings.  For that, I think it deserves a second chance. I'm sure there is something on the menu that is just as magical as those tater tots.

No comments:

Post a Comment