Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Things We Leave Behind....Pt.2.


I still get emails from Drake's in St. Matthews, which bums me out because I really miss this place.  It was one of my favorite places to eat in Louisville.  I'm sure the DFW has something similar, but until I find it, I'll still be tethered affectionately here.

Drake's is part restaurant and part nightclub.  It's a fun atmosphere with cheap food, two bars, and televisions hanging everywhere playing 80's music videos.  I first heard about Drakes because they have a fried twinkie dessert that is nothing short of phenomenal, so I had to try it out.

Their fried twinkie dessert was pretty amazing.  Crispy on the outside, moist on the inside, drizzled with chocolate and raspberry sauce and served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  Wonderful to behold and even better to taste.

Drake's Fried Twinkie
The second time I ate there, I wanted to try an entree, so I settled on the fried bologna sandwich with tater tots.  Simple, but well done.  And that's a good way to judge the quality of a restaurant; how well they handle familiar comfort foods.

Fried Bologna Sandwich
Of course the best part of Drake's was the people watching.  Since Drake's doubled as a nightclub of sorts, the atmosphere was often loud and frenetic so it wasn't conducive to quiet, intimate conversations.  I guess it didn't matter, people watching is one of my favorite activities and is always a reliable source of entertainment.  Of course, the best part of any place you visit, are the friends who go with you.  I would highly recommend this place, if you have never been.

No comments:

Post a Comment