Friday, December 2, 2011

The Things We Leave Behind......Part 1

Moving to Texas has been exciting for me because it has given me a chance to explore a whole new part of the country.  But one can't think about the new city they are living in without thinking about what made the place they moved from so special.  So, in looking back, I thought I would expound upon a few places in Kentucky that I enjoyed. 

The first place probably seems like a bazaar choice for me, but I miss the Starbucks on Dixie Highway. (What?)

I often found myself here on Wednesday evenings.  There were times I didn't want to go home after work.  I wanted some alone time where I could pop in my ear buds, open a good book, enjoy a cup of coffee, and drown out the rest of the world.  I know Starbucks is a chain but it was convenient, especially given the price of gas.  It was worth going down the street, as opposed to driving to the other side of town in search of a more trendy atmosphere.  When money and mileage are an issue, I'd rather be practical.  And Starbucks did satisfy a want, when I was jonesing for a cup of joe.

It also was a hangout place and served as a small oasis of cool, in an otherwise bleak landscape of junk stores, fast food joints, check and cashes, banks, and car lots. Dixie Highway, to be charitable, doesn't offer a whole lot in terms of fine dining, culture, unique shopping, or aesthetic architecture, so when Starbucks came to the area, I really felt we had achieved something.  Not that we hadn't had coffee shops on Dixie before, but they came and went because they didn't get the support they needed.

I miss this Starbucks.  For the longest time, it was a place to hangout, a place to be alone, a place to kill time, or a place to study.  It was a comfortable atmosphere in a rather dreary part of town.

No comments:

Post a Comment