Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Stackhouse

Stackhouse
This place was not my first choice.  I went to a place near Garland, but they didn't open until after four.  It was around two o'clock in the afternoon and all I had that day was a bowl of cereal.  I had to eat and couldn't wait.  Thankfully, this place wasn't too far away.

Stackhouse is located near the trendy neighborhood of Deep Ellum.  From the picture above, it was obviously a house that was converted into a restaurant. It was a really nice place on the inside, but it was small. 

The bar


Stackhouse seating area

I know that Stackhouse is a burger joint and I had every intention of getting one.  I was seriously craving a sloppy, greasy mess slapped between two pieces of bread.  When I got in, however, they were having a special so I decided to go with that instead.  They were offering what they called the Carnegie combo.  Shaved pastrami, spicy mustard, sauerkraut, and swiss cheese on a pretzel roll.  It was essentially a reuben sandwich, and since I recently enjoyed one at another eatery, I thought I would try my hand at this one.  That turned out to be my bad.

My Carnegie combo with fries
Now the first couple of bites into my sandwich wasn't that bad and coupled with the fries, I thought I was in for a flavor trip of pure ecstasy.  Once I got to their spicy mustard, my flavor trip took a wrong turn.  I'm sure it was the combination of the mustard and the tartness of the sauerkraut, but my sandwich took on a rather chemical taste, like Windex was one of the ingredients.  Now I don't spray Windex in my mouth so I really have no frame of reference, but I'm just sayin.

Since my sandwich turned out to be less than exemplary, I thought I would get a cheeseburger to go, since that is what I came for originally.  By the time I got home, it was a little cold so I warmed it ever so briefly in the microwave.  My cheeseburger sucked as well. 

Starting this blog, I knew that of all the places I would eat at, there would be a few misses along the way.  Some places might suck, but not turn me off completely to not give it another try.  Some places might just plain suck.  Stackhouse, though in a cool part of town, might be the latter.



No comments:

Post a Comment