Sunday, January 29, 2012

Taste of Europe

Taste of Europe in Arlington, TX
I think where ever Guy Fieri eats, I want to eat there too.  This is the fourth place in the DFW that I have eaten at where Diners, Drive-in, and Dives was filmed.

Taste of Europe is a Russian restaurant and market in Arlington, not far from where I live.  I heard of this place online because someone had mentioned that Guy Fieri was in town filming his show and this was one of the places he visited.  I thought it might be an interesting place to eat since it will eventually end up on TV. 

It's mostly a European market.  The seating area is a little small but not too bad.  They have a deli and Russian groceries, as well as a place to buy Russian souvenirs or nicknacks from the Soviet era.  Perusing through the stuff was quite interesting.  Next time I go, I'll get a translator and buy some cool Russian food.

Now I haven't had much exposure to Russian food in the past.  I've only eaten perogies and had beef stroganoff, which by the way is one of my all time most HATED dishes.  Maybe it's because I've never had authentic stroganoff; only the Hamburger Helper kind, but nothing says, "I hate you, Aaron," than fixing me a plate of beef stoganoff.  As well as no bake cookies for dessert.

Anyway since I had never been there, I didn't know what was good.  I saw stroganoff on the menu so I knew to avoid that.  The menu was mostly dishes from Russia but they also had a couple of German and Hungarian meals.

I decided to start with a cup of hot Russian tea with preserves.   Apparently in lieu of sugar, you can sweeten you tea with honey or some fruity jelly.  I don't know what it was but it had a berry flavor and was quite delicious.  It sweetened my tea nicely and all the little seeds conveniently settled on the bottom.

For lunch I ordered the meat blintz, which was a crepe stuffed with chicken, onions, and egg, topped with a white gravy and served with a side of rice.

Russian Meat Blintz
My food was really good.  The rice was a little bland for my taste.  It didn't have much flavor, but a little salt and mixing with the gravy made it good to eat.  My blintzes were outstanding.  The chicken was tender and well seasoned, but the onion mixed in is what made this dish for me.  How do you say very tasty in Russian? Ochen vkusno!




Icon of Jesus

Lenin

Matroyshka Doll


Where ever Guy Fieri goes, I follow.

In the end, my Russian experience was a pleasant one.  My meal, two glasses of tea, plus tip came to $19.00.  Not too bad but a little on the pricey side, I think.  If anyone would ask me if I would recommend this place, I would reply by saying, "Da."

No comments:

Post a Comment