Saturday, October 22, 2011

Cowtown Coding Corral

Medical coders, like anybody in the medical field, have to continue their education even after they graduate.  I have to earn so many credits every year and submit them in order to maintain my coding credentials, especially since I am looking for a job.  No credentials, no job.

You can earn credits through attending seminars, online classes, online tests, or coding exercises.  Most of the stuff is pretty pricey even if you are member of the coding association.  There is one event coming up that in order for me to attend, it would cost me $695. OUCH!  There are free credits available but you only get one or half a one.

I heard about a coding seminar being held by a local chapter in Fort Worth called the Cowtown Coding Corral!  These coding events are a great way to meet people and network, which is why a lot of people attend these events, in addition to earning their credits.  They held a meet and greet at restaurant called Los Vaqueros which is near the historical district north of downtown Fort Worth.  Passing through here, you'll realize why they call Fort Worth Cowtown. 

I had a great time!  It was nice meeting the people who were members of chapter and organizers of the event.  They were super nice and very welcoming.  I talked to them for a long time and made some contacts.  Food wasn't that great.

The seminar the next day was an eight hour affair.  Topics ranged from coding procedures to different parts of the anatomy.  Coding is very interesting when you are doing it, but to sit there and listening to someone talk about all the upcoming changes in Medicare and Medicaid can be pretty boring.  It didn't help that I had a headache and my stomach was nauseated.  Of course, all the changes the government makes to Medicare and Medicaid is enough to make any one's head hurt.  I really feel sorry for physicians and the practices they try to run.  There is so much government regulation, no wonder healthcare is so expensive. 

I had a good time at the event.  The ladies who put it together put a lot of hard work into it, by giving it a cowboy theme, and providing breakfast and lunch.  They really made it fun, and people responded to it very well.  There was a lot of laughter.  I did some networking, made a few contacts, and got a few leads.  Let's hope that it translate into a career soon. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment