Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Finding The Right Church

Next to looking for a job and finding a good place to live, I really want to be able to find a good church to get plugged into.  I've been to a couple in the few weeks that I have been here and I liked what I have experienced so far.  Like a lot of important things, I don't want to rush into this decision.

I've visited three different churches so far: Watermark, Church on Rush Creek, and Gateway.  Watermark is my go to church in the Dallas area since I've been there before and I am familiar with it.
All three churches are really nice and share similar traits that appeal to me.  For one, all three are big.  Small churches are fine, but I like megachurches and Dallas is megachurch central.  Cool because for me, they offer more opportunities to get involved in ministry and meet new people.

Worship is dynamic and well done.  Kinda of a mix of worship service and rock concert.  Watermark is a little more somber, but Gateway and Rush Creek offered the most expressive and charismatic worship. 

These churches try to create a real sense of community.  The church campus is not just to place for Sunday school and a sermon.  The places I've visited so far are very comfortable and homey on the inside with couches, plush chairs, fire places, and the best feature, coffee shops!  I thought Watermark and Gateway were the best, and are usually open during the week so you can bring your laptop and order a cup of joe and relax.

I don't know where I'll end up.  I like all the extra trappings these churches offer, but that won't be what ultimately appeals to me.  I truly want to be Spirit led in this decision, and allow God to show me the place He has for me.  A place where I fit in, the truth of God's word is preached and respected, worship is dynamic, and the church is active in the community that surrounds it.

http://www.watermark.org/
http://www.rushcreek.org/
www.gatewaypeople.com

No comments:

Post a Comment